Contrary to what society is currently telling you...
- Sugar does not make you fat
- Carbohydrates do not make you fat
- Sodium does not make you fat
- Fat does not make you fat
- Processed food do not make you fat
So, I guess a good question to ask would be, "What does make you fat?"
Eating too many calories. Period.
That's right— You can get fat eating chicken and vegetables and you can burn fat eating big macs.
Do not believe me? Test it for yourself.
- Use a calorie calculator to determine your daily caloric needs for weight loss.
- Track your food intake as accurately as possible by pen and paper or with a calorie tracking app (I prefer MyFitnessPal).
- Monitor your weight via the scale, take measurements, and take starting pictures that you can use for reference.
- Watch what happens.
If you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. It's a scientific law. Energy balance is real.
And for this experiment, do not limit yourself to only "healthy" foods. Eat as your normally would, just make sure you're hitting your calorie requirements— And, if you really want to optimize this track your macronutrients as well (protein, carbohydrates, and fat).
An app like MyFitnessPal will automatically calculate your macronutrient percentages based off of your calorie target, but if you are looking for a place to start:
Men: ~40 % Carbohydrate / ~30 % Protein / ~30 % Fat
Women: ~40% Carbohydrate / ~25 % Protein / ~35 % Fat
I will forewarn you, this experiment is for the sake of the argument that if you eat the correct amount of calories and macronutrients for your goals your body will change accordingly in terms of weight loss or weight gain.
I by no means recommend or endorse the idea that eating wholesome, healthy, and micronutrient dense foods is not important for overall health.
I am simply trying to dispel many of the common myths and misconceptions around nutrition.
If you're looking for more information on nutrition, check out my article titled Nutrition 101 by clicking here.
If you are ready to save yourself a lot of time and energy and are ready for a system that teaches you how to properly eat for both your health and your goals, click here and you can learn about The HUNDRD Academy— Where we create leaner, stronger, and healthier individuals in a simplified and sustainable way.